1.08.2010

Week 1

With the first week of the year already having flown by, here's my first drawing and the photo it came from. Bear with me as my rusty skills come back! The last time I drew anything was last May. Horrible. It's wonderfully refreshing to use the other side of my brain, to think and see things differently than I do every day.
As I start this project, I'd first like to say that:
1. Most of my drawings sadly stay unfinished because either a) I'm interrupted by two little people and their demands, or b) I get impatient with sitting still. BUT as long as I'm taking any time to study light and value, to portray lines, shapes, positive and negative space as I see them, I'm happy with it. These are just sketches anyway.
AND
2. I draw from alot of photos because they "sit still" - I'll draw from life occasionally, but it's a bit more difficult!


*Can you find the section I drew from?*
Fabric and its folds have always fascinated me. My AP Art Portfolio my senior year in high school focused on fabric. Loved it. Artists like Leonardo, Velazquez, Zurburan, Sargent, and even Bernini, who can create the illusion of sumptuous, flowing fabric on paper, canvas, or in stone just AMAZE and inspire me to no end.
I could study light on fabric forever and not get bored.

1 comment:

West Family said...

I think I can tell. The top left corner? Artist in any form amaze me. I cannot draw ANYTHING and have it look like real life at all. I have no artist bones in my body. So, that actually makes me a good audience--an artistically uneducated one, but a good one none the less because it all amazes me:) I can' wait to see what else you come up with. Good luck with your new goals!