2.08.2010

Week 5

Yes, I know it doesn't look like much, but last week I did some blind contour drawing, my favorite drawing exercise. It involves never taking your pencil off the page and never, yes never looking down at the paper. I love it.

You never know what the finished image will look like (I've gone completely off the page before), but it truly ends up being an image of exactly what your eye sees. You move your eye to the right, you move the pencil to the right, and so on...



The plant that inspired it:
A favorite blind contour from exactly a year ago:
This is my stainless steel kitchen utensil holder - and I can recognize every utensil in there. The fabulous jumble of lines would make a great screenprint, I think.

Another favorite contour drawing done for my drawing class two years ago and a drawing of the plant below it:
This contour doesn't look too much like the real plant, does it?


Try it! It's a fabulous exercise to get your mind and your hand-eye coordination working.

No comments: